Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 January 2011

Nitzer Ebb - Industrial Complex Tour Edition(2009)

Initially formed in Chelmsford, Essex by school friends Douglas McCarthy [lead vocals, guitar], Vaughn 'Bon' Harris [vocals, percussion, guitar] and David Gooday [percussion] in the mid 1980’s, Nitzer Ebb were influenced by the harder sounds of the early electro pop scene, but also distilled elements from several other genres until they had created their own identifiable sound characterised by powerful rhythms, minimal sequencer bass and hooklines and fierce, chanted vocals.


Promises is a brilliant way to start this album, I love the funky bass line and guitar flickers. The vocals are really catchy yet simple and effective its got plenty of energy to it with a different yet strangely (not too) similar feel to it. 
Having set the pace for the rest of the album the rest of it keeps up with the catchy funkyness. Once you say has a different more industrial feel to it with more guitars added to it but still packs the same punch. I love the 'left right left left right left' bits in it and I can imagine it being used it a film like Jarhead in one of the training scenes or a similar film. Also its one of my favourites on this album.
Never known takes us to a darker place and would work quite well in a horror or thriller film(the chorus at least)  for example night watch or day watch. Down on your knees has a similar feel to it and yet has that funky twang to it still. it'll definitely get stuck in your head. 
They've also got a mellow side to them with Going Away which also has beautiful lyrics to it in a strange sort of way which i think lends its hand to the flowing energy despite it being a mellow song. A similar thing can be said for My door is always open. I am undone is another mellow track n on this album set off with the keys which makes it a delightfully seductive song. 


Payroll is noisey and I love it. It sounds like Rage Against The Machine had babies with Rob Zombie... in a good way how ever it works really well and is also my other favourite track on this album. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is similar just not as noisey but its still brilliantly catchy and energetic.


3.5*
Over all its not a bad album in fact its well worth listening to. The sound works really well for them and its nice to see British bands joining into the scene and doing it well.


Track list:

  1. Promises
  2. Once You Say
  3. Never Known
  4. Going Away
  5. Hit You Back
  6. Payroll
  7. Down On Your Knees
  8. My Door Is Open
  9. I Am Undone
  10. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
  11. Traveling.

2 comments:

  1. The down on your knees link does not work. The first track (once you say) made me think my head was about to detach yuk! I am undone was quite,,, well er I could listen to that I guess, mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This review is very informative and interesting though i don't particularly like the sound of the band...they look good tho

    ReplyDelete