Total Pageviews

Sunday 21 November 2010

Infest 2010 - day 1(typed in sept)

OK, so maybe Bradford student union isn’t the place you’d think of when it comes to festivals; to most people download, Leeds/Reading, Bestival and things like that come into peoples minds. However it plays host to Infest, the UK’s only alternative electronic music festival, although without camping facilities is a fantastic festival to experience with the option to stay in halls (which hold fantastic after party opportunities!) or in nearby hotels.
Mandro1d
After a 6 hour drive from Southampton area we finally reach our destination get changed and head for the venue after a couple of cheeky drinks at the local Wetherspoons. At 7pm on Friday the venue opens and as you can imagine it gets very busy very quickly in the small sports bar to facilitate people before the main party kicks off wearing some fantastic outfits and hair pieces, playing games of pool with friends and having drinks.
8pm and the main doors open with DJ Nice 
Andy getting lovely tired travelers in the mood
 for some stomping goodness while the first
 local band, Mandro1d are preparing 
themselves to kick off the festival with a bang! 
After a 45 minute dj set while everyone filters 
through into the main hall one of the people helping to host  this fantastic festival 
‘Tails’ comes out on stage wrapped up in newspaper in front of an unknown crowd. 
This being his first of many costumes 
to come over the following weekend, I wasn’t sure whether or not Mandro1d 
were going to be any good after hearing them on MySpace and not being 
overly impressed. This being a year not too be taken TOO seriously on the 
other hand I stuck with it and thought “seeing as I’m here I might as well see
 what they’re like…”.Actually seeing them however was completely different
 – all of a sudden their whole image and sound came together as a joke band
Heimstatt Yippostash
 and it worked rather well. With songs like ‘Burnt Out Car’ which takes a 
cheeky jab at chavvy antics of stealing cars. Another fun song of theirs is 
‘Count To Evil’, with its Sesame Street-gone-wrong feel, it’s definitely a 
fun track to sing along to! This band were a surprisingly good way to kick 
start the festivities getting everyone in a brilliant mood after a good laugh and 
a bit of a dance even though it was rather cheesy – having said that though, I 
probably wouldn’t go and see JUST them.
After another delightful DJ set from Nice Andy where more people are starting
to dance, at 9:45 Heimstatt Yipotash grace the stage. They had teamed together 
after 2 solo careers to form an experimental combo that cant really be pinned 
down to just one genre of music, but 
personally I found them to be using too many
 samples for my liking and didn’t look like they 
were enjoying themselves as much as Mandro1d 
had. They did succeed on getting people dancing 
but that could have been to the student priced 
drinks… although I will admit they had me 
dancing too, I wouldn't have chosen to listen 
to them outside of the festival but after hearing so many great things about them 
I couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed when I actually saw them.
Unfortunately in my drunken state I missed actually seeing De/Vision but from 
what I heard of them they were really good live and I’ve seen photos that my 
friends have taken and they looked like they were loving it, which I really enjoy 
when bands play live – and they certainly got the crowd going.I was going to 
catch the last part of their set but it was so crowded I couldn't get to the main 
bit! I would definitely pay to see them again though which is certainly a good 
sign! After De/Vision, Nice Andy came back on; by this point the dance floor 
is filled with people stomping away, everyone’s chatting to everyone which is fantastic! 
But on that note I have to say DJ JuDas stole the show DJ wise finishing the night off 
with everyone wanting more – the Saturday couldn't come quick enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment